Saturday, March 28, 2015

Christchurch Family Loses Everything in Fire Sparked by Candle

Christchurch family loses 'everything' in fire sparked by teenager's candle

Originally reported by

A Christchurch family's home has been destroyed after a teenager forgot to extinguish a candle in his bedroom before going to school. 
The Aranui teen's two older brothers noticed the fire just after 8am and immediately called emergency services.
Wainoni senior station officer Mark Elstone said firefighters could see the fire before they even reached the Shortland St house.
They spent about two hours extinguishing the blaze, but the house was "pretty much" destroyed. 
The one-story house belonged to a woman and her four children. 
"She was obviously very distressed about the whole thing," Elstone said.
"They lost pretty much everything." 
The two younger children - a primary school-aged girl and a boy aged about 14 - had already gone to school before the fire spread through the house. 
Elstone said it appeared the fire had "accidentally" spread from a candle the boy lit in his bedroom.
The teen forgot to blow out the candle before leaving for school.
"The Fire Service advises against using candles of any sort within the house, unless it's an emergency situation," Elstone said.
The boy's two older brothers were staying in a sleep-out and a caravan at the rear of the property and noticed the fire spreading through the main house.
The fire did not affect the sleep-out or caravan, but destroyed two cars on the property. 
Elstone said he believed the family had house and contents insurance and planned to stay with a relative. 
This is heartbreaking but unfortunately so common. Did you know that The New Zealand Fire Service recommends never burning any candle in the home unless it's an emergency? There are thousands of fires every year caused by unattended candles. 
But as of March 10th there is an alternative available in New Zealand. It's called Scentsy and it's electric warmers that use a heating element to warm wax releasing fragrance that is as safe to use as a candle.   
Scentsy is a home-based franchise opportunity and they are currently looking for consultants to share this safer option. There is no experience or knowledge of the product is needed. Consultants earn 20-30% commission on all sales plus additional bonuses on their team sales. Other perks include free incentive trips, free Scentsy product with every party (bundle of orders), friendships from around the globe and an unlimited income potential. Go to New Zealand Wickless Candles Facebook page to learn more or request a free information pack here
Examples of a Scentsy warmer:
 New Zealand Scentsy Wickless Candles

This is how a Scentsy warmer works:
  New Zealand Scentsy Wickless Candles

Why it's safer:

Request a free information packet here or
Join now: - choose Join - choose New Zealand from the drop-down.

No comments:

Post a Comment